Technology and HPM
Making Fertilizers Is an Expert’s Job!
Fertilizers are added to the soil for augmenting and intensifying plants’ growth and yields. We can say that fertilizers act as a kind of catalysts in the whole process. Initially used by the ancient-time farmers, the technology of manufacturing better fertilizers developed over time considerably as the chemical requirements of growing plants were identified and discovered. The modern-day synthetic fertilizer components mainly consist of the compounds of phosphorous, nitrogen and potassium along with various secondary nutrients that are being added to these. The usage of these modern-day synthetic fertilizers developed using state-of-the-art technology by industry-leading Indian company, HPM, is giving proven results and has extensively ameliorated the plant yield quality as well as the quantity of the food that is available today from these yields, though their use in long-term is quite debatable and has been questioned time and again by many environmentalists.
Technical Explanation of the Process of Making Fertilizers
Automated and integrated fertilizer manufacturing factories have been mushrooming since then for intensifying the production of such compound fertilizers. However, the process of production and manufacturing differs from maker to maker in each of these manufacturing arenas depending upon the chemical composition of the final product.
The Manufacturing Process
Process of Producing Nitrogen Fertilizers
One of the components of nitrogen fertilizers is Ammonia, which is really one such component that one can easily synthesize from various not-so-expensive raw materials. Since nitrogen forms a significant part of our planet’s atmosphere, so an innovative process had been developed for the production of this ammonia from the nitrogenous air in our atmosphere!
- This process entails the pumping of natural gas & steam into a big vessel.
- Once this is done, the next step involves the pumping of air into this system, and then natural gas & steam are burnt to remove oxygen.
- With this, hydrogen, nitrogen and CO2 are left there primarily.
- This Carbon Dioxide is then easily removed; and finally, production of ammonia is facilitated by the introduction of electric current into this system.
- Process catalysts used here are Fe 3 O 4 (magnetite) for improving the speed & efficiency of this process of Ammonia synthesis.
- Impurities, if any, are even removed from ammonia, and the ammonia is stored in big tanks until processed further.
Though, ammonia is even used as a fertilizer itself, but the fertilizer manufacturers often convert it to certain other substances too easing out the entire process of handling the growth and yield of plants.
- Ammonia is mixed with air in a tank to produce Nitric Acid.
- Then, with a catalyst, this reaction is made to occur, thus converting ammonia into nitric oxide.
- This is then further reacted for producing nitric acid in the presence of H2O. Nitric acid & ammonia are utilized for making ammonium nitrate, which works as a good component for fertilizer, as it has high nitrogen concentration.
- These 2 materials can be mixed well in some tank and then neutralized to produce ammonium nitrate, which can be stored till ready for granulation and blending with other components of the fertilizer.
HPM Majoring in Phosphate/Potash Fertilizers
A Government-enrolled entity, HPM majors in Phosphate/Potash fertilizers in majority under the NBS (Nutrient Based Subsidy) Scheme.
Process of Producing Ammonium Phosphate
Ammonium Phosphate is yet another very good fertilizer (primary). Here is the process mentioned for producing Ammonium Phosphate fertilizer.
- For isolating phosphorus from the rock of phosphate, treatment with sulfuric acid is done.
- Thus creating phosphoric acid
- This can be reacted further with sulfuric acid & nitric acid for producing a triple superphosphate, which happens to be a great source for phosphorous in the form of solid.
- Phosphoric acid can even be reacted with ammonia in some different tank for producing ammonium phosphate.
Process of Bulk Production
Potassium chloride (KCl) is mostly given for the manufacturing of fertilizers in bulk ratio. The makers convert this into a better (to be called a more usable form) by the process of granulation. This process helps in making this easier to be mixed with other components of fertilizers in the subsequent step.
HPM’s Other Facilities
Granulating and Blending Processes
For producing fertilizers in their most usable forms, each of these compounds, are subjected to granulation and blending processes.
- The granulating method is done by putting all the solid material into some rotating drum that has an axis with is in inclined form.
- When this drum rotates, all the solid fertilizer pieces take the shape of minute spheres.
- These are then infiltrated through a screen, which will separate out particles of appropriate size.
- Then an inert dust coating is applied to these particles, thus keeping them fully discrete & also for inhibiting the retention of moisture content.
- Eventually, all these particles are then dried, thus culminating the granulating procedure.
- The makers blend together different particles in apt proportions for producing a fertilizer that is composite in nature.
- Blending is performed in big mixing drum, which rotates some specific number of times for producing the best optimum mixture ever possible.
- After this mixing process, the fertilizer is then emptied over a conveyor belt that transports that fertilizer to a bagging machine for undertaking the next process.
HPM’s Bagging Procedure – Seal-Proof and Pest-Proof!
- In the bagging process, the farmers get these fertilizers in large bags.
- For filling these bags, the fertilizers are first delivered inside a large hopper.
- Then, an apt proportion is then released from that hopper into that bag
- This is held open by some clamping device.
- The bag rests on a surface that vibrates, allowing better packing.
- When the process of filling completes, this bag is then transported upright into a machine, which seals it and it is thus closed.
- These bags are then conveyored into a palletizer that stacks more than one bags at a time, preparing those for being shipped to the fertilizer distributors and finally to the farmers. HPM packaging is seal proof and keeps pests out.
Fertilizer Manufacturing Expert’s Arena of HPM!
HPM’s Yardsticks for Quality Control
For ensuring fertilizer quality, the team HPM monitors the products at every stage of the production process. Raw materials as well as the output (the finished products) are subjected to a battery of tests, both physical as well as chemical tests, for showing they meet the quality specifications. Some characteristics tested are pH, density, appearance, melting point etc.
HPM Uses Latest State-of-the-Art Technology for Making Fertilizers
HPM has emerged as one of the industry-leading fertilizer companies of India. The company is endowed with an expert team consisting of highly qualified staff having industry-rich experience and expertise in this fertilizer industry. Backed by efficient technology for making fertilizers, HPM can be rightly called an expert in this arena! Expert hands, state-of-the-art-technology, work ethos and ethics, extensive knowledge base, information powerhouse and a streamlined approach have all turned the quarters of HPM into the “maker’s paradise of the fertilizer industry!”